South Somerset Community Badminton Network
South Somerset Community Badminton Network (SSCBN)
South Somerset Community Badminton Network is a structure based on the local authority area within South Somerset, which aims to offer a range of inter-connected programmes that seek to successfully introduce participants to badminton and then offer them a range of high quality, sustainable opportunities to enjoy lifelong participation in the sport.
The aims and objectives of the South Somerset CBN are:
- To provide a forum that allows clubs and key stakeholders to identify issues and then set clear priorities in order to move forward the development of badminton within South Somerset.
- To improve co-ordination and communication between members which conducive to partnership working and sharing of good practice.
- To strengthen the club badminton structure in South Somerset, providing support and advice to clubs in developing their junior programmes.
- To actively promote badminton in schools, providing new opportunities, encourage more participation in badminton and develop the links between schools and clubs.
- To work closely with the Badminton England in achieving their purposes and initiatives.
- To provide opportunities for adults to participate in badminton.
- To increase the opportunities for talented players to progress.
- Offer existing players the chance to find the right badminton experience.
So what has the South Somerset Community Badminton Network achieved to date?
- Provision of part time CBN Community Badminton Coach employed working with local school, leisure centres and clubs. This has included hundreds of children over many years in local schools having their first chance to play Badminton.
- Regular No Strings Badminton pay as you play session with 30+ players attending
- Regular ‘Social Series’ Tournament for for social adult players
- Regular junior tournaments
- Parent and child Badminton sessions
- Increases in players attending adult participation programmes
- Assistance for coaches to attend Club and Coach development courses
- Training for school teachers
- Young Officials courses delivered
- Breakfast badminton club
Membership of the Community Badminton Network is open to anyone who would like to get involved in the development of badminton within the South Somerset area. Current members include:
Jake Hannis (South Somerset District Council)
Alan Pilton (Somerset Badminton Association)
Steve Gass (Somerset Activity and Sports Partnership - School Games Organiser)
Yeovil Badminton Club
Gryphon Badminton Club
Wessex Wanderers Badminton Club
Shuttlebusters Badminton Club
Tuesday Badminton Club
If you would like to get involved in the exciting initiatives to develop badminton within South Somerset, please feel free to contact Jake Hannis on 01935 462544 or email@example.com
Through 2015/16 the main efforts for SSDC have centred around the work required for the redevelopment of Westlands Sports Centre, for the benefit of Badminton and many other sports in the local area. Regular coaching, Badminton opportunities and tournaments have continued through this phase.